Wednesday, September 28, 2005

And she's baaaaack!

Okay, so I've been back since Sunday night, but I'm old...and it took me forever to get back to speed.  I used to hit the ground running...but this time, it took me a while to remember what to do next!  Ah, those fond memories of coming home from a week or ten days of camping with the boys, backing the van up to the basement doors and tossing the laundry bags down next to the washer.  It used to be a family tradition:  We'd camp for ten days, come home on Sunday night, I'd do 10 or 15 loads of laundry, clean out the camper and the van, reload and on Wednesday the boys and I would leave for a camping trip with friends. 

I couldn't do that now if I tried!

This year started out easier:  for financial reasons, as well as emotional peace of mind, we decided to explore the possibility of taking Mark's Honda to Canada instead of my Jeep.  Not only does he get more than twice the mileage than I do, but his '02 Honda is ten years newer, has only 80,000 miles compared to the 160,000 on my jeep, and it has a CD player. 

We started off thinking we could make it with a soft side roof top carrier as well as filling the cavernous trunk. 

Then we discovered those space saver bags!!!  Since we have to take pillows, down conforters and towels, those bags changed the way we traveled...for a bit...

I did have to promise Mark that if he cut back the amount of clothing he took by 50%, I would do laundry half way through the trip.  That's when we realized that everything would fit in the trunk...

For my own peace of mind, I asked that we take the roof top carrier...just in case the bags failed and popped the trunk lid open half way home.  I had visions of dirty laundry and goose feathers spilling out of the car as we headed south.

Going to Canada is a two day trip (coming home takes one).  We stop mid-way for an overnight visit with Mark's aunt and uncle in Geneva, New York.  After Aunt Ruth serves us a magnificent dinner, we settle in for a night of card playing.

Andy is not a card player, so he decided to wander down to the local Wal-Mart for entertainment.  Taking leave of his senses, he bought this:

It's a 1/6 scale, radio controlled, four wheel drive,rock crawler.  If you are having trouble visualizing what 1/2 scale looks like, imagine that the box was so big, it almost didn't fit in the trunk of the Honda.  Out came the soft sided carrier and into it went the "Crawler" and down the road we went!

Our first glimpse of 'the river' was from the bridge spanning the US and Canada.  We were so excited to see a ship on the main channel and I tried to snap a photo of it by sticking my camera out the sun roof:

Is that not cool?

We were so excited to see Patricia and Sandro, owners of River Queen Houseboating!  This was our fourth fall trip and Mark had been corresponding with Patricia for over a year before we finally got there.  They are not old friends, they are family now!

Whoopsie...will have to continue this later...please check back later today...It's good to be home!

 

 

 

No comments: