Wednesday, August 10, 2005

two red ribbons and a deep fried pickle!

I know, it's been forever and sixteen minutes since I put anything decent into this blog...but it's not for trying!  Monday's entry was done in two stages, I had to have a little cry about missing' my daddy in between, and the final part has gone missing!  Fear not, I'll figure out what I did wrong and fix it!

Last night was strange...very strange.  Both boys worked until 8, so Mark and I sat here and ate dinner on the patio...alone.  Now in our younger days, a few hours alone and a meal would have rendered us tired as all get out because we'd end up having to go upstairs for a nap, but last night, with our new level of maturity, we just read the paper.  No sense getting all sweaty.

When the boys came home, we decided to toss some food down their gullets, shower them quickly and make a family outing of going to the Butler Farm Show to see the horses, chickens and pigs, sample some of the heart burn inducing food and of course, see how Mama's dolls made out in the judging.

Yes, at 4:21 on Sunday, I stood in line (deadline was 5:00) to enter two cloth dolls of my very own design.  Now in this land where sewing is what they call mending your jeans and replacin' buttons and tractor parking and hog raising are considered womanly arts, I didn't expect the judges to look upon dolls, ugly ones at that, favorably.  They didn't.  Well, they did, but they didn't know that Manfreds only do blue.  I got two red ribbons. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy...it could have been worse, but now I'll drive myself crazy trying to figure out what I didn't do right, or what i did do wrong...after all, last time I entered, five years ago, I did take the blue. 

My family was proud.  Mark even got upset because one of my dolls was displayed on the bottom shelf, not showing her face.  Cute.

Since we ate before leaving home, our food purchases were very limited, but I just had to try the deep fried dill pickles.  I was amazed...I am not even all that crazy about 'raw' ones, but the deep fried were very good.  Tony says we'll have to try them at home some day.  After the pickles, though, we decided not to go for the deep fried Oreos or Ding Dongs...just lost my courage.

Mark was home for a few hours this afternoon and then went to spend the night with his father.  Dad had a very bad day yesterday and constant dental problems make it even worse.  Mark has already announced that he will be there tonight and tomorrow night (I made a salmon loaf and sent it down for Mark to cook tomorrow), but he will not be able to spend the weekend.  Someone else will have to do it (but they will most likely say that Dad didn't want them to stay). 

After watching Mark in tears of frustration this weekend, I am proud to say that he wrote to his five siblings and asked them to help.  He can't assume all of Dad's emotional and physical needs.  I can't wait to see what happens.  The last person who spoke their mind to that group was me...that was two years ago and half of them never spoke to me again.

And now...without further ado...I'll share a few doll related photos and then wander into the kitchen in hopes of finding a cup of decaf.  Remember I love yuns...

Jan!

Belinda, who won a red ribbon, getting her hair done.

Oh, everyone asks, so I'll tell you: they are all made from Kunin Felt!

Maureen, who did not get to go to the farm show, shows off her blue ribbon for Prostate Cancer Awareness.

Flutter has been around for years. Her primary job is to swat at the dust bunnies, but Princess keeps an eye on her!

 

 

No comments: