Thursday, January 26, 2006

Farting dogs and broken promises...

Aha!  Now that I have your attention, you might be wondering just where the farting dogs come into play.  Well, the dog belonged to my friend Jill, and I have no idea what became of it...Maybe we all need to jog over to Jill's Blog and ask?  On second thought...knowing Jill and her family, maybe it's better not to ask...

I know I made a resolution to blog more often, and a secondary resolution to blog in the morning so I don't fall asleep in the middle of a post.  I had wonderful intentions and I'm going to blame it all on Andy, my middle son.

Andy was the most pleasant child on earth.  He smiled all the time, was polite and affectionate and his eyes closed promptly at 9 PM every night and opened about 6:30 AM every day.  After the first week of life, he never kept us awake at night. 

Now, 19 years later, he's working in a machine shop several nights a week until 10:30.  He loves his job.  Every work night, I try to sit up and wait for him.  Every night, about 10, I pretend that I'm going to go up to bed and read until he comes home.  Most nights, I don't even hear him come up the drive in his Jeep.  Every night, I hear his Doc Marten's clumping up the stairs toward our room (Yes, I was the one that fell in love with that pine staircase and thought anyone who might suggest carpeting was insane!)...I can feel him standing next to our bed, and as soon as anyone stirs, he asks, "Did I wake you?"

Answer yes, answer no, it matters not.  Eye contact is not necessary.  All you have to do is change your breathing pattern and he sits on the edge of the bed and begins talking...

In minutes, we know what machine he worked on tonight, what the tolerances were (1/1000 inch?), how many parts were made, what they had for dinner and how cold the drive was home.  He then wishes us good night and heads for the shower, leaving us to resume the rest that old parents like us needs...

Mark can do it, but I'm not so good at going back to sleep...so here I am...

Now whatcha wanna talk about?

I was really planning to talk about all the people in blogland that I 'know' and watch...about Laura's upcoming baby (and maybe a new house), or LynnH and her Color Joy...I love those words, color brings me much joy.  I've always maintained that my favorite color is plaid!

Have you heard about Stephanie's (aka Yarn Harlot) new concrete floor?  Are you sending healing vibes to Joan's husband and Bliss' precious dog?  Did you spew coffee on the screen when you heard what Jill's daughter said?  Do you feel as though these people are a part of your family?  Do you worry when they don't post? 

Am I nuts or what???

On the  other side of the coin, I thought you'd like to see what's on my knitting needles these days...

Project #1...a size 2, top down raglan sweater.  No clue where it will go when it's done.  I started it as a k with my darling daughter, but I passed her at the starting line...but it's fun and mindless knitting.

My Irish hiking scarf from Hello Yarns, and a cabled hat from a pattern by Judy Gibson all made of Wool Ease.  I was going to give it to my oldest son's SO for Christmas, but it just didn't happen.

Now you gotta have sox...lots of sox...and here's the current pair on the needles.  I think it's Magic Stripe, and they are certainly for ME!

Last but certainly not least...

Clogs from FiberTrends!  These still need the outer sole, and they certainly need felted, but they are Kool Aid dyed.  I'm not sure where they are going once they are done, I have several people on my list who claim they are for them...

Well, hope this hasn't put you to sleep...but it certainly did the trick for me...I'm off to dream land.  Sweet dreams to you!

 

 

 

 

No comments: